Bhutanese rivers are full of fish, especially brown trout, so called snow trout (schizothorax) and also golden masheers in southern regions.
Permits & restrictions
- Fishing permits are not issued from September till the end November as the Fall is designed as breeding season.
- During the first and fourth month of Bhutanese religious lunar calendar fishing is strictly prohibited. These months usually falls on January to March and May to July, differing from year to year.
- Fishing is prohibited on important religious days and in the vicinity of temples and monasteries etc.
- Punakha and Wangdue districts, Chamkhar chhu river in Bumthang and Phobjikha valley are totally off-limits for fishing.
- It's prohibited to use natural bait (like worms) and to take the fish as trophy. Catch & release fishing is preferred but if you like to take fish for dinner, you're allowed in most cases.
Best season for fishing is mid-April to mid-May. In summer, there is too much rain and water is wild, in winter, fish do stay in deep waters.
Tour length and service
From half day fishing to multiple days fishing tour can be accommodated. Please mind that at least 1 week, ideally more, is needed for good fishing experience.
You need to bring all fishing gear yourself, we don't have anything to rent.