As Himalayan country Bhutan has a many beautiful rivers ideal for water sports. The most popular rivers for rafting are Mo Chu and Pho Chu in Punakha. Rafting can also be done in Pangbang, near Manas National Park area, on Drangme Chhu and Mo Chhu rivers. Rafting can be done thorough the year.
Rafting in Punakha
Almost every tour, 5 days and longer, includes visit to beautiful subtropical valley of Punakha. Two rivers, Mo Chhu or Pho Chhu, dubbed also as Female and Male rivers, confluences here to create strong watercourse Punatsangchu.
- Beginners, seniors or children would definitely enjoy the Female river, Mo Chhu. Rafting starts below Khamsum lhakhang monastery, common spot of our sightseeing. On the route of 7 km, there are 10 rapids graded as 2- to 2+ (easy). The ride is finished just before the beautiful Punakha dzong.
- Experienced and thrill seekers will enjoy the Male river, Pho Chhu. Here there are around 15 rapids of 2 to 4 grade on the route of 11 kilometers. The finish is before the Khurutang town. In low water situation, the rafting might start 5 kilometers down by the river, making the route shorter and bit less exciting.
Mo Chhu river rafting cost: 300 USD for 1-6 people + 50 USD each person extra
Pho Chhu river rafting cost: 350 USD for 1-6 people + 50 USD each person extra
Rafting in Pangbang (Manas)
Pangbang near Manas National Park is remote place with whole range of rafting options. Two rivers, Mo Chhu and Drangme Chhu confluences here, creating Manas Chhu river. Rafting can be done thorough the year, although in June-July, rivers are quite wild.
- Easy Drangme Chhu – Full day rafting with few maximum class 2 rapids. Ideal for very beginners, children and seniors.
- Upper Mangde Chhu – Half day rafting with 90 minutes of continuous class 3+ rapids. This is the most popular rafting adventure in Pangbang recommended for both seasoned and beginning though daring rafters. The rides are bumpy, fast and filled with breathtaking views of Royal Manas National Park at the right and on left, we can see the typical local settlement.
- Lower Mangde Chhu – Half day rafting with 1h30m of class 3+ rapids, good for experienced a enthusiasts. Begins with a unique sight of the gorgeous twin waterfall in the region. Next to the twin waterfall, there is a natural swimming pool for swimming. Witness the spectacular view of the mightiest Mangde River with stunning gorges and abundant wildlife in this remote jungle.
- Full day Mangde Chhu – Full day non-stop rafting on class 3+ rapids with good recovery points. Visit and interact with Pantang Community; includes a healthy Bhutanese cuisine for lunch next to the beautiful view of the mighty waterfall.
- 2 days Drangme Chhu river trek – Two days rafting expedition with several hard hitting rapids. Adventure starts with drive Nganglam town on Drangme Chhu river. From here you will raft back to Pangbang with one overnight, camping and experiencing delicious local cuisine. Ideally combined with fishing (might require additional day).
Costs of Pangbang river rafting on request.